Sunday, November 11, 2012

Roasted fall vegetable stew

I think fall is my favorite time of year for veggies.  I love love love cauliflower and potatoes and cabbage and kale and brussels sprouts and beets and turnips, etc etc etc.  And every time I make groceries I want to buy everything.  So, of course, I decided to make a soup.  I’ve been seeing various recipes using roasted vegetables and I thought a roasted veggie soup would be delicious.  But everything I looked at (as with most vegetable soup recipes) just did not live up to my needs.  I wanted LOTS of hardy, fall vegetables - a soup with ALL of my favorites.  So, I kind of made this one up.  And man oh man I love this soup!!!  I will say now that I don’t think it’s for everyone - it’s very vinegary, which I love, but I don’t think everyone would like that.  And the beets turn everything pink, as you can see, which may also turn people off, but it doesn’t bother me.  It is one of the most perfect soups for me.  So many chunky veggies in one bowl - I get giddy when I think about sitting down to enjoy it. It really is just a vehicle for me to enjoy all the fall veggies I like in one bowl, enhanced by a few autumn herbs and spices and with a slightly pickled flavor.




Roasted Fall Vegetable Soup

Yield: 8
Ingredients
3 small Beets, diced into small cubes
2 medium Turnips, diced into small cubes
3 Carrots, diced into small cubes
1 Onion, halved, ½ sliced into sliver, ½ diced
1 large Russet Potato, diced into small cubes
1 large Sweet Potato, diced into small cubes
½ head Cauliflower, broken into small florets
1 medium Sweet Apple, diced into small cubes
5 cloves Garlic, smashed 
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Sage, chopped
2 Tbsp Rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp Thyme, chopped
1 Tbsp Salt
Any Other Seasonings, such as flavored salts and pepper
1 Tbsp Bacon Fat
1 bunch Swiss Chard, chopped and washed well
1 bunch Beet Greens, optional
6 cups Chicken Stock
1 Tbsp Chicken Bouillon
3 Bay Leaf
2 Lemons, juice only

Directions

Roast veggies:
Pre-heat oven to 425.

Combine beets, turnips, carrots, sliced ½ of onion, potato, sweet potato, cauliflower, apple, garlic, olive oil, sage, rosemary, thyme, salts, and other seasonings and mix well in a bowl until veggies are coated.

Put veggies into roasting pan and roast for 45 mins to an hour.  Stirring every 15 mins, until veggies and tender.

While veggies are cooking, start soup:
It large stock pot, on med. heat, melt bacon fat and add diced ½ onion.  Cook for about 1 min and then add a little chicken stock.  Saute until onions are translucent, about 5 mins.  Add greens and a little more stock (just the cover greens) and cook for about 8 mins until greens have started to soften.  Add rest of stock, bouillon, and bay leaves.  Stir well to dissolve bouillon.  Turn down heat and simmer until veggies are done.

When veggies are done, remove garlic cloves and add veggies to stew.  Stir well mixing all of the ingredients together.  Put garlic through garlic press and add to stew.  Stir again.

Continue to simmer for about 20 mins (or longer) until all the flavors have melded together.

When you are ready to serve (or store), add juice of 2 lemons and stir well.



No comments:

Post a Comment