Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Irish Soda Bread


I have been itching to try my hand at bread making for some time, but I’m afraid of it.  I’m not the best baker in the world because I have no patience and don’t take my time so my cakes can come out a bit wonky sometimes. But bread, although requiring precise measurements and resting periods, is a bit more forgiving in the “design” department.  I’ve perfected biscuits (I use this Bobby Flay recipe), so I decided the next step would be the soda bread.  And since St. Patrick’s Day was coming up, I thought what better time to try it.



I used the recipe I found here at Melangery

I didn’t alter it at all since this was my first time making it and I always like to try the unaltered recipe first.  I was super happy with how it turned out!  It was chewy and moist with a great crunchy crust.  And the flavor was so comforting and warm.  My husband and I thought it would also make great scones.  I think I am going to try that next - with honey and raisins!

As for bread making... I think I’m hooked.  My next step will be to take a class.  I feel like for the yeast breads, I need someone to show me exactly what the dough should look and feel like at each step.



No comments:

Post a Comment